Tuesday, February 24, 2009

listening to yourself

i've been listening back to that scratch recording of bexar county that i made a few days ago and it's pretty obvious that i need to work on a few things in my performance.

first, i was really using my throat a lot to scream, which i don't normally do -- i used to be pretty disciplined about pushing air up from my diaphragm when i needed more vocal power on higher notes. i don't have a problem singing the healthier way when it's just me and a mic, but when i also have a guitar around my neck i guess i revert back to old bad habits. so that's something i need to be aware of when i'm performing.

i also think my timing could be a lot better. my timing is pretty good with piano, though still not amazing, but the timing on my guitar playing -- which i'm just now re-learning how to play -- is pretty sloppy. i'm not that interested in being a great guitar soloist, but i really do want to play rhythm guitar well, which is much more difficult than one might think. so i'm going to be practicing these songs for as many hours as i can in order to get the fingering clean and the timing right in the pocket.