Tuesday, February 24, 2009

the other blueyed son

i realized something last night.

the main catalyst for this album (this whole undertaking, really) was a trip to Texas over the Christmas holidays of 2008. cassie and i visited my younger brother, who had just been released from prison but was already back in the state hospital for a drug relapse (this encounter is described rather completely in "Cocaine Cocaine" so i'm not going to elaborate on it too much here).

you never really know why you do the things you do, but i realized last night that it probably wasn't an accident that in the opening song of the debut album of my band Blueyed Son, i refer not to my own blue eyes, but to my brother's. i didn't have this in mind at the time, but it's becoming clear to me that this band and this album is as much about him as it is about me, and that even the name of the band is a reference to him as much as it is to myself.